Funded by Global Affairs Canada, the Inclusive Legislatures for Gender-Responsive Policies (ILGRP) Project is a four-year initiative (2022-2026) implemented in partnership with the African Centre for Parliamentary Affairs.
This project supports legislatures in Ghana, Kenya, and Togo to adequately assess gaps and strengthen their capacities to incorporate gender aspects across the exercise of their legislative, oversight, and representation roles. It addresses barriers to women’s participation in democratic processes and amplifies women’s voices, including COVID-19 response and recovery efforts. The project also improves legislative engagement with civil society, particularly women’s rights organizations. More specifically, ILGRP will enhance the capacity of the three parliaments to:
(1) enhance the capacity of legislatures to formulate and operationalize gender-responsive strategies and plans;
(2) enhance the capacity of legislatures to implement administrative reforms to enable gender-sensitive resource use and service delivery;
(3) support legislatures to amend and pass inclusive gender laws, including gender-sensitive budgets;
(4) support legislatures to set up systems to oversee the achievement of gender equality commitments by executive branches; and
(5) enable legislatures to connect with citizens, in particular women and girls.
The expected outcomes for this project include:
1) strengthened legislatures to represent the needs of the poorest and most marginalized populations, with a focus on women and girls;
2) improved abilities and effectiveness of elected officials to design and develop inclusive and gender-responsive laws, policies and budgets; and
3) improved engagement of civil society and marginalized populations, in particular women and girls, in decision-making and democratic processes, to ensure that policies and services better respond to their needs.
Ghana, Kenya, and Togo 2022-2026
Focus: Parliamentary Institution; Citizen Outreach and Engagement; Parliaments and Gender
Funders: Global Affairs Canada